28.7.09

Illustrators and Publishers of Different Worlds, or, I Love Doury.



Zitty (something like TimeOut for Berlin) has a short article on an illustration book called "Freistil Black". I give you my translation:

Draw me a world

The book "Freestyle Black" is an opulent overview of contemporary Black and White illustration.

"I don't believe in what I see ..." is the motto of the latest edition of the illustration handbook "Freistil" (freestyle), which has been published biannually since 2001. In a time when the flood of images is constantly growing, when all events are photographically accessible, when one's faith in the truth of a photograph diminishes given the increasing possibility of technical manipulation, there is a growing desire for "real" pictures. In recent years, illustrations have served this purpose. "What touches us," says publisher Raban Ruddigkeit - who began his career as a comic illustrator -  "is the personal view." The book introduces illustrators - mainly from German-speaking countries – showcasing styles, trends and developments in a form of expression which is continually moving into the arena of media content. By choosing to devote oneself to only Black and White illustration, the origins of the art form in the drawing become visible and the workmanship-like characteristics understandable. The complex pressure and the thick, partly painted paper make each page a visual and tactile experience, and a declaration of love for the printed book.

I think there are a couple corrections needed. The full motto is: »Ich glaube nicht an das was ich seh. Ich glaube nur an eine gute Idee« (I don't believe in what I see. I only believe in a good idea."). But the first part is good enough for what they are talking about. Also, I don't think the series has been around since 2001. "Freistil Black" is only number 4 and number 1 was published in 2003.

You can see some page exemplars at the publishers homepage and the book homepage. At first I was excited; nice illustration makes me blush. But it all seems too clean and the focus on media-ready illustrators is a bit of a turn off, although interesting nonetheless. The publishers link to the Zitty review and comment, again my translation:
Apparently our book cautiously enters the mainstream market. Something we are very happy about, as a broader readership may succumb to the magic of illustration.
I don't understand how they are not mainstream, they were invited to the "sei Berlin" (think I♡NY but with bockwurst) store launch. I expect fully-polished, advert-ready illustrations that will blind me with beauty. And I think they can deliver that.



This is in complete contrast to another book series, one which I am in love with. Mollusk is a serial publication from the Bongout publishers. Bongout has a gallery space in Mitte focusing on illustrators of Germany and France, although they seems to have fingers in lots of pots. I discovered Mollusk serendipitously at a comic/graphic arts shop and was immediately  drawn to an issue which showcased Pascal Doury, a recently deceased and severely under-appreciated French artist (it was published in 2007, he died in 2001). The publishing house is pretty small, and the book feels very intimate. Articles are written in the first person by people who knew Doury, there are private pictures and after reading the essays and absorbing the illustrations I wasn't just in love with Pascal but I felt like I knew him, like a familiar novel character. His artistic career spans a good deal of time and styles. For example:









And that's just part of his world! Here is a larger collection of his works, and also see this. There is a quote in the book (I think from Art Spiegelman) about how one could imagine inside Doury's head a massive universe, a whole other dimension, bigger than what we could imagine. Looking at his illustrations, it almost feels like stepping foot into a different existence. I think this is still the only book which collects and presents his material. Highly recommended.

Doury is featured in Mollusk #4, which you can order online from Picturebox Inc., who I also love and have previously recommended.


No comments: