7.9.09

Deutsches Essen, Teil 1

German cuisine? Probably makes you think of:
  • Wurst (all variety of sausage)
  • Cabbage (Sauerkraut, obviously)
  • Beer (but only in gigantic glasses carried by large-breasted long-haired blond women)
Yes, the Germans have all of those, but German eating gets a seriously bad rap. I'm not even an expert but I know there are some very good things you can only get in Germany, or at least are things the Germans excel in. I want to start introducing them to you all.

Lebensmittel 1) DER QUARK

If you make your way down to the Maybachufer Wochenmarkt (the farmers market at Maybachufer, a street on the bank of the Spree in Berlin), you'll stumble upon this thing of beauty:


Yes, a Quark stall. I have being trying to figure out what Quark is in English since I moved here, but according to the dictionary it's simply Quark, although more recently it's now translated as curd cheese. If someone offered me curd cheese in Canada, this is not what I would expect! I've never seen it, but my chef buddy Tara says you can pick it up in some local (read Arab) markets around the T-dot, and it's just called Quark.

So what is it? Quark is a very low-calorie soft-cheese. Think Philadelphia cream cheese meets mascarpone. In other countries you can apparently find varieties with less water content, which I guess resemble curd cheese more than the German variety. It's also very high in protein and even with some amount of Lactose intolerance, I don't get problems with it.

It's very creamy, but it has a tart after taste that I don't like. You can eat it straight up, or as I was shown by Bettina Harr, a research associate, the best way to eat it is by mixing in pieces of fresh strawberries (in season, of course) and some sugar if it's still not sweet enough for you. The result is something like strawberry jogurt, but probably better for you.

This is what was on sale at the Quark stall above. Instead of buckets of ice cream, he had buckets of flavoured quark:
  • Chocolate
  • White Chocolate
  • Nougat
  • Poppy Seed
  • Cappuccino
  • Coconut
  • Honey
  • Vanilla
  • Lemon
  • Banana
  • Mixed-berries
  • Strawberries
...and a variety of other berry flavours. He gives you a cup with two flavours, sandwiched between is a layer of muesli, or fresh fruit, if you like.


No comments: