22.1.08

artscience

...and on the topic of book reviews in Nature:

First: Kudos to Nature for consistantly providing excellent book reviews on all aspects of the sciences. I have discovered some great books this way.

Second: Here is an interesting topic that is not discussed nearly enough: artscience. The new book is Artscience: Creativity in the Post-Google Generation. (See also here)

Artscience is not about showing me your fluorescence confocal microsocope pictures. It is not about showing me the perfect Northern. Is it not even about showing me expression patterns in your favourite embryos. Alghough I will love all of them, they are not artscience.

Artscience is when... "art works to make science more accessible, whether to the scientists themselves, to entrepreneurs who might translate ideas into reality, or, ultimately, to the public."

Artscience is when you... "experiment in multiple environments, carrying a single idea to social, industrial, and cultural fruition by learning to view traditional art-science barriers as a zone of creativity."

How does my way of thinking as a scientist affect how I would approach a completely creative endeavour? How do i reflect my knowledge and ideas about development, evolution, disease, etc. into something other than experiments, slide shows and papers?

Check out Le Lab

No comments: