12.6.09

The Italy I Know



Last week I took a wonderful trip to visit my father and grandparents (and many other relatives) in the small Southern Italian town of Accettura (Map) in the province of Matera. Needless to say the food was plentiful, fresh (lots of farmers in the family) and delicious (pizza for breakfast, no joke). I usually don't share travel photos but it was such a nice trip, I decided to make this little photo post.

I spend most of my time in Accettura:


A small village of about 2500 people tucked into the hilly countryside:


At my Grandparent's farm, with anonymous dogs:


And goats:


and a wood-burning oven (note the 12kg box of penne):


And also wandering around the country side:




Which of course includes the standard shrine:


Bonus pic: (From left to right)My grandmother (84), hes sister who lives in Canada (78), and he older sister who also lives in Accettura (86). My grandmother still walks everyday to the farm outside the town.


No comments: